Quick Definition

Native plants have evolved over thousands of years in a particular region and provide a beautiful, hardy, drought-resistant, low-maintenance landscape while benefiting the environment by providing food and shelter. Once established, landscaping with native plants saves time and money by eliminating or significantly reducing the need for fertilizers, pesticides, water and lawn maintenance equipment.

In Depth

Native landscaping means using plants, trees, scrubs, grass and other groundcover that is indigenous to your region. When you use native plants, you won’t need maintain your landscaping with pesticides, fertilizer or water, since the plants are already adapted to their environment. Native plants also supply a sustainable habitat for local wildlife, like butterflies and birds.

Native plants provide a low-maintenance, low-cost and environmentally-friendly approach to landscaping.

Our Application

Make It Right has used many native plants and trees in landscaping around our homes and projects.

In New Orleans, Make It Right has planted cypress, Louisiana iris and palmetto in the yards of our homes.

In Kansas City, Make It Right plans to use prairie dropseed, black eyed susan and little blue stem in landscaping around the project.

Lessons Learned

On our first homes in New Orleans, we initially limited our planted grass to 45% of the landscape, while the other 55% were native plants. By reducing the amount of grass a lawn, we reduce carbon emissions from lawn mowers and chemical runoff from fertilizers, which is harmful river ecosystems.

Our native landscape strategies have not worked with most of our homeowners, who most familiar and comfortable with 100% grass yards. Many homeowners dug up and removed the native plant and laid grass instead. Due to this, we currently plant 100% grass and native trees, allowing homeowners to plan and plant their own landscapes.